Adelina* is a bright 12-year-old with big dreams. In fact, she hopes to be president of Honduras one day! There is no doubt she has the drive and skills to achieve whatever she sets her mind to. Adelina is smart, outgoing, funny, witty, kind, and helpful. She excels in school and just began this year at a nearby bilingual junior high because of her strong English skills (she just missed the cutoff of the Amigos Bilingual School - she is in 7th grade and our school currently goes up to 5th). Adelina also has a strong and beautiful faith that inspires kids and adults alike here at the 'hogar.'
Read Adelina's beautiful interview below:
- Age: 12
- Birthday: September 17th
- Grade/School: 7th grade at White Dove Christian Bilingual School
- What is your favorite class in school? Computers because I can travel through the internet and learn many things about the world.
- What is something interesting you learned in school this week? In Technology class, we learned about data entry systems, data storage systems, and data output systems. Also, in social studies we learned that Christopher Columbus didn't really discover America. I still am thinking about that.
- What do you like to do in your free time? Lots of things...sleep, play, draw, play soccer, dance Zumba, and paint.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? I can't say it. It's too embarrassing. Don't be embarrassed! Okay, fine...if I could be anything, I would want to be president of Honduras.
- Why would you like to be president? I want to be able to help the poor, like Mother Teresa. I have seen poverty. I want to stop all of the violence, the maltreatment of children, and the wars. If I were president, I would help Honduras have a better future. I want to be a president who follows the laws and brings all of Honduras closer to God.
- Who is someone who inspires you? Father Dennis because he preaches the word of God well and his heart is big. He makes me reflect and realize the things that I need to work on. He makes me feel safe and feel free to be closer to God.
- What is something you are thankful for? I am thankful for Amigos de Jesús because it helps me achieve my dreams.
- What is your favorite part of Amigos de Jesús? There are so many parts! I like prayer circle because I feel safe when I am hand in hand with the other kids at Amigos and can share what I am feeling. I also like the cross because I can see so far from there. It is a beautiful view. And I can think about myself and everyone in Honduras. My dorm room is another one of my favorite places because I can share my secrets, sadness, happiness, and feelings, and also help the other girls I live with. We all help each other in my 'hogar.' Other places I like are the soccer field and my bed.
- Favorite singer: Daddy Yankee, especially the song "Shaky Shaky"
- Favorite color: Blue
- Favorite foods: Pizza, hamburgers, chicken and french fries, and spaghetti with white sauce
- Favorite movies: I Believe (Christian movie) and iRobot
*name changed to protect privacy