Alicia* is bold, quick-witted, loyal, and loving. At Amigos, we focus greatly on making sure our girls know that they are equally as smart, strong, brave, and well, everything really, as our boys. Alicia has embraced this teaching and is quickly blossoming into a leader. Growing up with an energetic younger brother who also lives at Amigos, she has learned to hold her own in tough situations. She isn't afraid to speak up against anyone who might try to break her. She is strong when she has to be, yet also caring and sweet - especially with her closest friends and the younger girls in her dorm. We can't wait to see where Alicia will go!
Learn more about Alicia in her interview below:
- Age: 12
- Birthday: November 15th
- What is your favorite class? English
- Who is your favorite teacher? Profe Kathy
- What is something interesting you learned in school this year? We learned about animal classifications and the food chain in Science.
- What do you like to do in your free time? I like to play cards and play soccer with the other girls at Amigos. It makes me happy.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a midwife because I want to help people have kids.
- What are you most thankful for? I am thankful for everything I have. But I'm most thankful for Amigos de Jesus because they want the best for me and for my brother.
- Who is your biggest role model at Amigos? Miss Jackie (2014-15 long-term volunteer) because she always helped me with everything I needed - especially homework in English and Spanish.
- Favorite song: "Firework" and "Roar" by Katy Perry
- Favorite color: Pink
- Favorite food: Fried chicken and french fries
- Favorite movie: Scary movies and James and the Giant Peach
*name changed to protect privacy