Diego* is smart, fun-loving, and sensitive to the feelings of others. He entered a bilingual classroom at the Amigos school two years ago without knowing any English, and today he is nearly fluent. In just a couple weeks, he will be starting 5th grade. Diego is a wonderful friend and uncle to his three nephews who also live at Amigos (he is only a year older than them). When someone is hurting, Diego is apt to notice and provide love and support. His smile has brightened many a day around the hogar!
Learn more about Diego in his interview below:
- Age: 11
- Birthday: January 27th
- What is your favorite class in school? Computer class because I like learning how to use a computer.
- Who is your favorite teacher? Miss Rachael
- What is something interesting you learned in 4th grade last year? I liked when we learned about improper fractions in math class.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Someone who makes medicine from plants.
- What do you like to do with your friends at the hogar? Play soccer and watch TV.
- What are you most thankful for? My education. I remember my first day of school at Amigos when I didn't know any English and I made it my goal that day to learn English to be able to talk with my teachers. Thanks to God, I have been able to.
- What is your favorite part of Amigos de Jesus? The school, because that's where I learn.
- What do you like to do with the volunteers and madrinas/padrinos? Play soccer with them and talk with them. They give me good advice and help me.
- Who is someone who has been a role model for you at Amigos? Nane (last week's Amiguito of the Week!) because whenever anyone is doing something they shouldn't be, he always tells us the right thing to do.
- Favorite song: "Debate de 4" by Romeo Santos
- Favorite colors: Red and orange
- Favorite food: Chicken and tajadas (friend plantains)
- Favorite movies: Big Hero 6 and The Guardians of the Galaxy
*name changed to protect privacy