Hernando* is known for his calm and content disposition, his impressive soccer skills, and most of all, his outstanding organizational abilities. While many of the boys at Amigos tend to need several reminders to wash their clothes, bathe, and do their chores, Hernando can almost always be found doing these things with a smile, without ever being asked. Hernando takes pride in his style and appearance, and he wouldn't let anyone catch him without his hair styled and his clothes cleaned and pressed. With his kind-hearted manner, Hernando is also an excellent role model. He has a gentle way of correcting kids around him when they aren't doing what they should be. Finally, Hernando is one of the best soccer players his age at Amigos! He is a young man of many talents, and we love him so!
Read more about Hernando in his interview below:
- Age: 11
- Birthday: December 14th
- Member of the Amigos de Jesús family since: 2014
- Grade/School: 4th grade at the Amigos de Jesús Bilingual School
- What is your favorite class in school? Social studies and art. I like social studies because we learn about Honduras and I like art because I like to draw and color.
- Who is your favorite teacher? Mr. Michael (2015-16 BECA volunteer and Hernando's 3rd grade teacher last year) because sometimes he would let me arm wrestle him.
- What is something interesting you learned in school this week? We learned about 3D shapes and 2D shapes in English class.
- What do you like to do in your free time? Play soccer with my friends, organize my locker, draw, and color.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? A construction worker.
- What are you most thankful for? I am thankful to the Amigos de Jesús family because they helped me when I was little and at the school I always learn new things.
- What is your favorite part of Amigos de Jesús? The soccer field because I love to play soccer.
- What do you like to do with the volunteers and the madrinas and padrinos at Amigos? With the volunteers I like to write letters to my sponsors and practice English. With the madrinas and padrinos, I like that they protect me and help me become a better person.
- Who is your biggest role model? Profe Osman because at first when I came to the Amigos school, I used to say bad words, hit other kids, and I didn't listen to my teachers. Profe Osman talked to me one day and told me I had to start behaving better. I promised him that I would and when I went to 3rd grade I started getting in trouble less and now this year I behave well.
*name changed to protect privacy