Elena* is strong, outgoing, sharp, funny, and kind. She has a personality all her own. Elena also has a sparkling laugh. No matter the situation, you can find her quick with a joke to bring a smile to those around her. Amigos de Jesús wouldn't be the same without Elena's wit and energy!
Read more about Elena in her interview below:
- Age: 13
- Birthday: December 15th
- Grade/School: 5th grade at the Amigos de Jesús Bilingual School
- What is your favorite class in school? English, Spanish, and art.
- Who is your favorite teacher? Mr. Tim (2016-17 5th grade BECA teacher) and Profe Kathy (2015-17 Honduran volunteer teacher) because they are very nice and don't yell at us.
- What is something interesting you learned in school recently? In science class, we learned about eclipses with Mr. Tim. An eclipse is when the moon covers the sun.
- What do you like to do in your free time? Sleep, put relaxing music on the stereo in our dorm, and relax on the couch. Oh, I like to sing, too.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? A doctor -- the type that takes care of babies, because I like babies. I also want to be a teacher, an English teacher.
- What are you most thankful for? I am thankful because I have everything I need to live, and at Amigos de Jesús I'm taken care of.
- What is your favorite part of Amigos de Jesús? When the madrinas let us play, and when I play with Josefina* (one of the younger girls in her dorm), because I love Josefina.
- Who is your biggest role model? Madrina Karen (the madrina, or Honduran caretaker, in Elena's hogar (dorm)). She always gives me good advice about boys so that they don't bother me.
- Favorite music: Shakira, Romeo Santos, and "Me voy" by Julieta Venegas
- Favorite color(s): Red, blue, black, white, light blue, and lime green
- Favorite food: Fried chicken with french fries, and tacos flautas
- Favorite book: The Magic Tree House books
- Favorite movie: Hansel and Gretl and Beauty and the Beast (the new one and the old one)
*name changed to protect privacy